Monday, June 9, 2008

Lindsay Keeps Speaking


I thought you'd be encouraged to hear how Lindsay's life keeps speaking volumes:

Dear Bill,
I was asked to write an article for the TCF newsletter for Redlands about my feelings as I walked through Lindsay's illness and ultimate death with you.

The article will be sent to about 250 Christian, Jewish, and non-Christian bereaved families as well as area professionals. I wanted to share this article with you. I hope you like it.

PLEASE, DON'T LET IT BE WASTED

I remember the moment vividly. We were driving toward Kansas when my cell phone rang. It was Bill, the Executive Director of America’s Keswick where we spend our summers. On April 7 his 22 month old granddaughter Lindsay had undergone open heart surgery. I had just read on her blog that morning that she was doing much better and had even taken a short ride in a hospital wagon. However, as I heard Bill’s voice, I knew something was terribly wrong. Bill explained that Lindsay had experienced cardiac arrest just shortly before he called on April 15. The medical staff was able to revive her, but, of course, the situation was critical. For the next month, the family experienced the typical roller coaster that many of us have gone through. One day Lindsay was showing improvement, the next moment Lindsay would have a set back and her condition was dire. On May 16 Lindsay went to Heaven with her family present. Her pain was over, but her family’s forever pain was just beginning.

Have you noticed how detailed my report is? I sound like a bereaved parent, don’t I? Well, of course, you know that I am a bereaved parent, and I felt like a bereaved parent as we walked through this difficult journey with Bill’s family. I remember the dates of the significant events just as her family would.

Mostly, I remembered…. I remembered the shock, the pain, the prayers, the confusion, and the frustration of the roller coaster…all of the emotions that a bereaved parent goes through.

I also remember my prayer, Dear Lord, Please don’t let Lindsay die. I know the pain, and I know the journey the family will have to walk. Father, I don’t think I can handle the pain I will see in the family’s eyes.

Does that sound like a selfish prayer? Perhaps it was, but I have been there. I know the journey the family will walk through. Oh, how I wish I didn’t know. I describe someone who has experienced the loss of a family member as one who has lost their innocence. I don’t want any of my friends to qualify for that description.

As my three children died, I prayed the same prayer each time, Don’t let this be wasted. I have had a chance to talk with some of Lindsay’s family and to share my books with them. My boys will be remembered as I share my story and what I have learned along the way. Their lives have not been wasted.

While I never want anyone to experience the pain of losing a child, I am grateful that I can be available to take their hand and say,

TAKE ONE STEP, JUST ONE STEP,
THAT’S ALL YOU NEED TO DO TODAY.

TAKE ONE STEP, JUST ONE LITTLE STEP
BY REACHING OUT YOUR HAND TO SOMEONE ELSE.

SOME OF US HAVE WALKED THIS PATH BEFORE YOU,
IT’S A ROUGH PATH, A VERY, VERY TOUGH PATH,
BUT WE CAN MAKE IT.

HANG ON TO ME AND I’LL HANG ON TO YOU.
WE MAY STUMBLE, WE MAY EVEN FALL.

BUT WE’LL GET UP AGAIN,
AND WE’LL START WITH JUST ONE STEP,
YOUR HANDS LINKED WITH MINE.

WE’LL MAKE IT. YES, WE CAN MAKE IT.
ALL OF US TOGETHER,
JUST ONE STEP AT A TIME.

A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION, By Marilyn Willett Heavilin, July, 1995
This article was written in memory of Lindsay Alice Groen, June 14, 2006 to May 16, 2008

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Bill for sharing that article by Marilyn. It blessed my heart.

God, we miss Lindsay. We miss her beautiful smile and those eyes. Lord, please be with those that are feeling her loss. Help us to see your grace and be reaffirmed you are with us in the valleys as well as on the mountaintops.

Susie

Anonymous said...

I love that article, and Marilyn's testimony. I am praying diligently for Lindsay's family, and trying to keep my eyes focused on eternity where there will be no more sorrow or pain... Thank you so much for continuing to post updates on the blog.
~Abbie

Anonymous said...

I read this today and cried...

Some days for a short while I am able to forget that Lindsay has gone. Most days I remember many times a day and my thoughts focus on Laura. How is she feeling today? Has she cried today? Does she need someone or something today? Should I call her, should I send her an e-mail today?

Laura,
I had forgotten on Friday that Lindsay was gone... but at dinner you cried and I quickly rememberd. I wish there was something I could do, something I could say. All I know is that I can't imagine your loss, and Greg can't imagine Jon's loss, and Caleb has said to me that he would be so sad and upset if Hannah or Isaiah were to die and go to heaven.

My Children ask why Lindsay had to die and the only answer I have for them is that God wanted her to come home. REALLY it is so far beyound my understanding of God's reasons as to why he allowed Lindsay to pass, but I hold onto posts like this article and the 12 that found Jesus at such an age when hope may have been lost, thank you Bill for the entries.

I listen to others and hold onto their words of how Lindsay is working in there lives. I listened very carfully this past Sunday as PK delivered the message... I feel that I have a little more understanding now as to why we suffer. Lindsay has changed my life and has changed the way I see my children.

Jon and Laura,
I pray that each day your suffering will get a little better, and as time passes you will remember Lindsay and feel ok with the desicion God has made. I also pray that you remember that this is not goodbye... You will see her again in God's perfect timing.

I love you Laura...I am here and I will get in my truck and drive on over you just say the word, I'll be there.

I love you:)
Carrie

Anonymous said...

I had a few thoughts today about precious Lindsay and those who love her so.

I WONDER
I wonder what she'd doing now,
breathing new air,
hearing new sounds,
Talking to Jesus
and walking around,
seeing all the glories
that in Heaven abound?

Will she look down,
see Mom and Dad,
and whisper
"Please don't be so sad.

"I'm better now,
all better you see,
So please don't cry
so much for me.

"I loved you so,
and love you still,
But now I am home,
it was God's will.

"I left behind my family,
my friends,
But my leaving you
is not the end.

"I'll be here,
watching every day
To see how lovingly
He leads your way.

"Tanner will grow to be
a fine lad,
The best brother
a sister ever had.

"I'll be watching you all
from above,
I send you a hug,
I send you my love.

"And I thank everyone
for praying for me.
For I'm better now,
All better, you see?"

Thank you for letting me share
these thoughts today. You are
daily in my thoughts and prayers.
Diane Nichols

GarretJulie said...

Wow, Mrs. Nichols, what you wrote was amazing for me! This is Julie, Lindsay's Aunt. And a proud one at that! What you wrote brought me to tears, but it is so true. Someday we will get to see our Lindsay again! And boy I can't wait.
For me, I didn't get to see Lindsay very often, but boy do I think about her ALL the time! Every time I walk pass her picture, there she is smiling back at me! I know what I am going through with her not being here, and I can't even begin to imagine what you, Laura and Jon are going through! I was watching some videos of her the her the other day. As I sat there I found myself crying thinking of her not being here, but smiling and laughing at the things she was doing. My heart aches when I think I can't see her anymore. Some days, I just ask God WHY, WHY her! But I know that I MAY NOT UNDERSTAND, but he does and I have to trust in him for that!
So, I love you guys very much! I wish I could be closer to cry with you and hug you when you are having "one of those days". But please know, she has a VERY SPECIAL place in my heart and she will be with ME forever! My little girl is YOUR little girl, and you can take her and hold her anytime you need to! I know that is what you are going to miss.
I love you Lindsay!
~Julie

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura, Jon & Tanner,
I was so blessed by all the comments yesterday and Marilyn's article. I just felt like we all having a great big hug!
Thank you all.

Needless to say, it meant you were on my mind all day as I prayed for all of you. I trust that you are knowing God's presence and see how He IS taking you through...step by step.

Trying to keep cool down in NJ-don't know how it is up there. I am praising the Lord that He saved it for this week and not Sr. week!
That cool rain was beautiful!! :)

Love, hugs & prayers,
Miriam

Anonymous said...

I think you're going to be hearing more and more how Lindsay touched so many. It's probably going to be for years to come. One of my constant prayers throughout this entire time has been that the Lord would be glorified. And, Praise God, He is being glorified.

I look forward to the day that I can meet all of you, but until then you all remain in my daily thoughts and prayers. I have grown to love all of you as you are my family...actually we are...through Christ!

Hoping the days are getting a little easier. Know you're always thought of and prayed for.

Love in Christ,
Lisa Sheldon & Family
Whiting Bible Church

Anonymous said...

Dear Bill and Family,
I wish to extend my condolences to your family. I was in the audience the day you introduced us to Lindsay and told us of her struggle. Then I heard of your loss. My heart breaks for all of you. I know the feelings and emotions that stir within us when we lose a child. I lost my son Anthony in 2003. It is a hard experience to get through....no one understands unless you've walked that painful path. You are not alone. There are those of us who know the agony of the heart, the lonely places we find ourselves wandering into, the beautiful memories that warm our hearts and yet cause tears to well up in our eyes. The pain is great but the Healer is greater. Two simple words in Scripture have carried me through this tragedy and I pray it will lift you. "Jesus wept." Two little words, a very simple text...but so profound. There are no words of comfort to bring to a parent whose lost a child.....nothing brings comfort or encouragement. We want our child back! But, for me, knowing that Jesus weeps with me....that all of heaven weeps with me.....somehow, I am comforted. So I offer these words to you as well. Please know that I, along with my church family, FPC Tuckerton are in prayer with and for you.
May the God of all comfort be with you,
Leslie Rafaniello
Little Egg Harbor