Friday, May 9, 2008

Friday Evening Update

There has been a lot of activity this afternoon to bring stability to Lindsay's situation. The assessment given is that what she is experiencing is a result on 25+ of being on the ECMO machine. There is still no definitive word on the infection, however they are giving her nebulizer treatments and antibiotics to treat the lungs.

Tonight Lindsay's output was improving and that was encouraging. All three doctors have assured the kids that they will do everything the can. All three have indicated that there is still HOPE.

Dr. Brown shared with the family that your cards are arriving, and that they are a huge encouragement!!! Thanks for writing to Dr Mayer, Dr. Emani and Dr. Brown. If you haven't, you can still do so by writing to them at:
Children's Hospital Boston
300 Longwood Avenue
Boston, MA 02115.

I would also like to encourage you to write to Lindsay's nurse, Heather. I don't know her last name but you can send it to the CICU 8 East.

Thanks for partnering with us.

Friday Afternoon Update

Knowing that hundreds of you are checking the blog on a regular basis throughout the day, I wanted to write and give you some additional information.

Please pray for clarity and an understanding of what is really taking place in Lindsay's body. There seems to be some confusion about the infection, what kind it is, it's location, and the next steps. Her "output" has slowed done and her lungs are obviously a concern. The kids have an meeting this afternoon with the head of the Cardiology Department. Hopefully we will get some more definitive information at that time.

They are trying to adjust medications where possible and are backing down the paralytic since she has not "awake-awake" in two days.

Laura shared that Jon cried this morning and said, "I just want to pick her up and hold her." Jon, I want you to know how very proud we are of you, and for the way that you had literally stood with Lindsay during the past 30+ days. Jon and I share the same "passion" for hospitals, so I probably appreciate more than anyone how stretching this has been. You are a good Daddy, Jonathan Groen.

Laura, it's hard for me to even type this without bawling. Mom and I are so proud of you and the strength that you have demonstrated not only in caring for Lindsay every day since her surgery, but being able to put aside your own grief from the miscarriage so that you can give "Bear" all of Mommy.

Warren & Phyllis have driven to and from NH just about every day to support the kids and their "Little Pink!" I know that their trip away right now is hard on them.

Jan has been there living out of a suitcase since the day of surgery. Zach and I miss her big time, but know that right now she is needed in MA to help with Tanner and Laura and Jon.

Our daughter Julie has taken on Zach's homeschooling responsibility to free Jan up. Julie, Mom and I are very proud of you ...

Well enough of the mush -- thanks to all of our family and friends who have stood by our family during these difficult days.

And most of all, thank You Lord for the way you are taking us THROUGH.

Friday Morning Update

We are at 11:59! These next several hours are going to be very critical in determining the next steps for Lindsay. She had an issue during the night with low blood pressures and it would appear that there is another infection. The lungs are a concern and we think there now may be an issue with the kidneys.

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

Please uphold Laura, Jon, Tanner, Jan, and Warren and Phyllis who are away.