Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thursday Evening Update

The team of doctors met with Laura and Jon tonight and prepared them that the next step is most likely going to be a heart transplant.

The decision will be made some time in the next 12-96 hours. The bottom left side of Lindsay's heart is not functioning properly and they are calling the episode on Tuesday cardiac arrest.

In one sense Lindsay may tell them what the next step will or will not be depending on how she responds. She is on a priority list for a heart which means it could be anywhere from 24 hours to six months. The family and team would be making the decision to proceed if this would be a viable outcome for Lindsay. This is a very difficult time for everyone. For the past 48 hours the verse that Lord has been giving me is from Psalm 61:2 "From the end of the earth I call to YOU when my heart is faint; lead me to the Rock that is higher than I.

Please pray specifically that the Lord will give all the family peace and a good night of rest tonight.

Pray for wisdom for the doctors and personnel that need to make the decisions.

I have been praying that if God would heal Lindsay to the amazement of the doctors, nurses and others who have attending her and observing this situation. Ultimately our pray is for GOD'S WILL for Lindsay Bear. She belongs to Him.

Your notes are an encouragement, so please ... keep 'em coming.

Thursday Update

I am sorry for the delay in getting you information on the blog, but I was hoping to have some more encouraging news for you.

Here is what we know at this point:

1. The left side of the heart is not functioning properly. They tried weaning her slightly off the heart and lung machine so that she would do more of the work and she wasn't ready for that.

2. They still have her in the "paralytic" state and want to keep her resting. They are turning her, and she has opened her eyes.

3. The EEG studies will be done later this afternoon which will show if there is any brain concerns or if a seizure might have been the cause of the attack she had on Tuesday.

4. The two options at this point unless God intervenes and heals her would be for additional open heart surgery or a heart transplant. They have not ruled out the heart transplant which was already an option if they did not do the surgery and allow things to run its course.

Obviously both options weigh heavy on every one's hearts and minds. So how can you pray:

1. Pray for continued wisdom for the doctors and nurses.

2. Pray that if she will need the transplant that God will provide a heart as quickly as possible. The nurses have indicated that paperwork might already be in process just in case.

3. Pray for peace for Laura and Jon. As each day drags on the waiting gets harder and every one's patience tends to wane.

4. Praise the Lord that the Devon House opened up for housing from Friday night until the 30th. That will take much pressure off everyone.

5. Praise the Lord for the thousands who are praying! It is amazing to hear reports of friends everywhere who are lifting the Groen and Welte families up before the throne of grace.

Again, please be sure and leave a comment on the blog even if it is just a sentence. It is an encouragement. We love you all.

If you'd like to send a card to Lindsay, you can send it to her c/o:
Boston Children's Hospital
300 Longwood Avenue
Boston, MA 02115

If you would like to make a contribution to help with Jon and Laura's expenses, you can send a gift to:Dover Baptist Church151 Washington Street Dover, NH 03820 Attn. Pastor Ken Monihan. Please make checks payable to Dover Baptist Church and write Jon and Laura's name at the bottom of the check.